Essential things to look for when viewing a home
1. Look for signs of neglect - Is there rust on the HVAC or large appliances?
Check the furnace, ac unit, and water heater
2. Is the home dirty?
If the home is a mess it may indicate there lack of care for the home over the yea
3. Are there many homes for sale on the street?
If yes, look to see if its a location issue or economic challenges
4. Are the roof shingles well maintained?
Are the shingles missing, curled or covered in moss?
5. Is the temperature the same in every room with the heat on?
Are there hollow core doors? - if sellers are not using high grade materials you may need to replace later down the road.
6. Does the electric panel need an upgrade?
Outdated electric panels can cause fires
7. Are door frames tilted?
If door frames are tilted it could indicate a problem with the homes foundation
8. What's under the carpet?
If it's hardwood it can add value. If it's plywood make sure it's in good condition to avoid repairs in the future
9. Is there soft wood around the window sills?
If you see cracking wood or paint it can indicate rot, which can effect the strength of the window.
10. Does the house smell musty?
This could indicate mold.